Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A reflection on Acts 20:24 and a celebration for a friend

Tonight I was blessed to spend the evening celebrating a woman who has served our parish for several years as director of PSR (aka CCD). We began with Mass and followed with a reception.

One of the things I love about the Catholic Church is that, unlike many of our brothers and sisters in Christ who worship in Protestant Churches, we have set readings for every day of the year. Today it was like the readings were pre-ordained for Roseanne's retirement. From Acts 20:24, in a speech that the author (probably Luke) recorded from Paul, it says: "I consider life of no importance to me, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to bear witness to the gospel of God's grace."

How fitting is this? For those of us who endeavor to give our lives to the Church through ministry this is a good reminder of what our goals should be. As Dr. Roper said in his speech at Convocation (see http://morethanfleshandbone.blogspot.com/2011/05/final-final-exam-by-dr-greg-roper.html for the text), we are called to die to ourselves constantly. When I was sitting there in Convocation listening to his words, I know that I thought about my decision to enter the Echo program- more or less against my own wishes- because I knew that it would give me a greater opportunity to do the work I love, even if it keeps me from pursuing it completely for the two years I'm in the program. I had to die to my own pride and go against what I had originally said about my future. I had to turn down the opportunity to do missionary work-something I greatly desire- for a greater opportunity, one that I am grateful to have. But this next step- no matter how unsure or nervous I might be- will surely help me in the course of the ministry that I have been given.

At any rate, the evening was wonderful. I got to spend time with three dear old friends (Alyssa, Jessica, and Erin) and it was rewarding to see how the Lord is working in the lives of these three beautiful young women. It is always good to be reunited with old friends after a long absence, but especially when it is a reminder of how the Lord really does answer our prayers. It was also fun to sit and have "girl talk" without talking about philosophy, theology, or anything else that comes up in such conversations at UD! Just a good old time talking about our dreams and boys and everything else under the sun.

I was also blessed to talk with other dear friends- Doris, Roseanne, Belen. And then a phone call from my big brother tonight, where he played me a new song he's working on. Life is so good!!

Unfortunately, I still have to pack! Getting down to the wire now, but with mom's surgery last week it's been hard. It'll happen.

Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment